Jasper Roberts Consulting - Widget

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Indians, Pilgrims, and Turkeys, Oh My!

We are having so much fun learning about the Pilgrims coming to America and the Native Americans being friendly to the Pilgrims.  I wanted to go ahead and post a few things that are going on instead of waiting until Thanksgiving Break.  Your child will bring home a Thanksgiving Fact Book.  Please take a minute to sit down and read the book together.  


We are learning to read and write our number words and this gave us some practice.  We used the poem 10 Little Indian Boys.


This month we also are learning about fractions.  We made these cute fraction indians.


During small groups we matched letters for beginning sounds to the pictures on our turkey's feathers.




We rolled a cube to see who could make a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving Dinner first.
They had listen for the beginning sound to know where to place their ingredients.



They chose an object out of the bucket and found the letter that matched the beginning sound.  Then, they bingo dotted that letter on their paper.


They rolled the die, wrote the number and drew that many feathers.


I got this idea called "Pluck the Feathers" from a friend, Mrs. Estes.  The children use a timer to see how many feathers they can pluck.  After they count, they record that number on their paper.



Since we are learning our number words, they had to match the pilgrim's number to the number word.  Next, they found the number on their paper (they are mixed up) wrote the number word, and colored it to match.



We filled our cornucopia with nutritious fruits and veggies, but we had to match the picture to the word using beginning sounds, and then we had to count and write the number.  Math and Literacy in one!






12 comments:

  1. Would you be willing to share the Pilgrim Number Words with me? I love the idea! Thank you!

    brittneyhoff@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ideas are great!! Thanks for some inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cornucopia idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a lot of your ideas do you share them? You should sell them on teachers pay for teachers.Gladys

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do share Gladys. I don't know a lot about teacherspayteachers....how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fabulous unit! I love the pics of the pow-wow.
    I was also wondering if you share your printables? amomthing@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are these activities from your last year going to be included in your 2011 unit on TPT? I am very interested. So far your Thanksgiving ideas are my favorite. :-)
    I can't wait to preview your unit, thanks for sharing. aderby @ harnett.k12.nc.us

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julie! I love these thanksgiving ideas! Do you have the printables somewhere to download or purchase? If not can you email them to me? ckaemingk@gmail.com Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love the Roll A Feather math game! I love your unit.. thanks for sharing your great ideas!

    kkcouturier@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow....just wow. I'm assuming the 'comment removed above' is probably along these lines, BUT what are you thinking?? Horrible horrible stereotypes to be spreading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As educators we need to be extra-vigiliant in making sure that what we teach is culturally-sensitive. I'm sure your intentions were good, but I would suggest rethinking some of what you are teaching. Just a friendly suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

 
Pin It button on image hover